4. Where do landscape fires occur?

The wildfires described above in “Recent notable landscape fire events” are examples of fire burning in North and South America, Europe and the Northern Latitudes, which have caused significant damages to the environment and society. However, there are vast natural landscapes in of tropical and subtropical Africa, Asia, Australia and the Americas where fires are a common phenomenon and where vegetation is adapted or tolerant to regular fire occurrence. Approximately 80% of global fires occur in grasslands and savannas, primarily in Africa and Australia, but also in South Asia and South America; the remaining 20% occur in the world’s forests.

Global fire activity map: The Worldview Service of NASA provides a real-time global overview of actively burning landscape fires (all fire types). Please click on the map for watching and downloading the distribution of fires all over the world. Source: NASA